Green Deal Scotland – What’s it all about?
The Green Deal may seem like a complicated process, but ATC Construction handle all of the necessary requirements from start to finish. Through the Green Deal you can pay for energy-efficient home improvements through savings on your energy bills. The Green Deal launched in January 2013 and applies to both the domestic and non-domestic sectors. Green Deal Scotland is an innovative financing mechanism that lets people pay for energy-efficiency improvements through savings on their energy bills. The Green Deal process has five stages:
1. Remote advice
ATC Construction recommend that you seek independent and impartial advice at the outset. Our organisation can provide this, free of charge. Simply call on 0800 6906909, request a call back or use our contact page.
2. Advice visit and assessment
A Green Deal Scotland assessment is carried out in your home or business premises by an ATC Green Deal Advisor or Assessor. Our Adviser will:
• Use standardised software to identify what energy efficiency or microgeneration improvements you could make and what the financial savings would be.
• Outline how the payments will work.
• Identify which improvements are likely to be cost effective.
• Produce a Green Deal advice report outlining your options.
• Declare any links we have with Green Deal Providers.
• We will also provide standardised impartial advice including a fabric assessment and other potential energy saving advice, include behavioural advice. There will generally be a charge for the assessment. You may have to pay this up front, or you may be able to pay it off over time as part of the finance package.
• Once the Green Deal Advisor has given you your report, if you decide to take up a Green Deal offer you will then sign a Green Deal Plan, which is a contract between you and the Green Deal Provider.
• A Green Deal plan is a finance mechanism which is linked to your electricity meter and is paid back over time through savings on your energy bills.
• The Green Deal Obligation stays with whoever pays the electricity bill at the property, so transfers automatically to any new occupier of the property if you move address.
• The Green Deal Provider will arrange for a Green Deal installer to come and carry out the work you have agreed to. The installer will have been vetted to ensure they meet the standards set out for the Green Deal.
• Only Green Deal certified installers can carry out the work to a clear agreed standard.
• The Green Deal installer will inform the Green Deal Provider that repayments can begin once installation works have been completed.
5. Repayment and follow up
• You pay back the cost of the improvements over time through your electricity bill. Your electricity supplier will pass your payments on to your Green Deal Provider. The amount you pay back will be no more than a typical household will save on heating bills, so you are likely to be better off overall from day one.
• Although the cost of the improvements is repaid, this is not a conventional personal loan as the charge is attached to the electricity meter in your house and paid back through your electricity bill. If you move out, the new occupant will pick up the charge while also benefiting from a more energy-efficient property.
• Interest will be charged on these payments, but the rate will be fixed and you will be shown a full schedule of all the payments before you sign up to the plan. It is up to the Green Deal Providers to decide on the interest rate, so it is worth shopping around to find the best deal. You can pay off the plan early if you choose, though the Provider may charge a fee for this.
• You will recieve continuing support from the Green Deal Provider throughout the life of the Green Deal plan.
• You are free to switch energy suppliers – there is no change to current procedures, although you should make it clear to any new electricity supplier that you have a Green Deal plan in place.
How do I apply for the Green Deal Scotland?
Green Deal Scotland. The first step to getting a Green Deal is to have an assessment carried out on your property. Simply call on 0800 6906909, request a call back or use our contact page and start saving money immediately.
What improvements will the Green Deal Scotland cover?
There are 45 measures or areas of home improvement approved to receive funding under the Green Deal, covering:
• Heating and hot water
• Microgeneration (generating your own energy).
• For the non-domestic sector, lighting, mechanical ventilation and heat recovery measures can also be covered. More areas may be added as technology develops.
ATC Construction Here To Help You
The variable options of Green Deal Scotland at first glance may appear overpowering with information overload, but in fact our advisers can determine very quickly which part(s) of the Green Deal will benefit you & the property you live in. Call our Green Deal Glasgow, Edinburgh & Central Scotland information line for details 0800 6906909.
Green Deal Scotland Gallery